January 31, 2013

Sick Days

This winter has been awful for colds and flus. It seems like everyone has been battling illnesses for weeks on end. We had been pretty lucky and avoided it until recently. About 2 weeks ago, I came down with a horrible cold. It lasted a good week and I missed some days of work, but luckily Ben and Jim avoided getting it as well.

Then last Friday Ben was complaining that his head hurt, but he was acting fine besides that. Saturday he started coughing and by that evening, he was running a mild fever. By 10pm, Ben was still rolling around in bed, so I went to check on him and his fever had gone up to 102. I called a Nurse line and she suggested a lukewarm bath (in addition to Motrin). So we drug Ben into the bath at 11pm. That definitely helped bring down the fever to about 100. We put Ben back to bed and hoped for the best. At about 4am, he started crying so I went to check on him. He had wet the bed, but worse than that, his fever had spiked to 104.3! I have to say, I freaked out a bit. Ben has never had a bad fever before and it made me nervous.  I put him into the bath yet again at 4am. He was so hot that he thought the water was really cold and it was not a pleasant experience. But, thank goodness, it brought the fever back down to 100.

Ben has been fighting this flu-bug ever since, but we are on the mend now.  He stayed home from school for a couple of days and made a trip to Urgent Care just to make sure there was nothing bacterial going on (ear infections or anything in the lungs), but it's just a mild flu (maybe thanks to getting his flu shot?).  The bad news is that now Jim has picked up this flu-bug and is still home on the couch after about 5 days.  I just hope I can avoid it and we definitely can't wait for this winter to pass! :)
 
Lots of time spent drinking Gatorade and watching TV
At Urgent Care, with a sucker and apple juice - they know how to keep him happy!

No comments: