December 13, 2010

Continuing Christmas Traditions

I don't think I'm alone when I say that Christmas is my favorite time of the year. Yes, we live in California and have hot weather, fake snow, put lights on palm trees, and don't know the meaning of "winter clothes", but I still love this time of the year. Growing up I thought it was things like the lights, the presents, the vacation, the music that I loved; but now I know it was all of the traditions and memories made with my family that made it so special. I want to continue that for Ben. One of my favorite Christmas traditions was baking cookies with my family (minus the year with bugs - ew!). We decided to give it a try this year. We went the easier route of pre-made dough since we figured Ben wouldn't last too long anyway. My parents drove down for the afternoon and we BBQ'd, enjoyed our 80 degree weather (we had the air conditioner on, but you can bet the tree was lit up too!), and made cookies. Ben didn't really understand cutting out the shapes, but he LOVED decorating with the candy. He was shaking those little bottles like crazy! He also helped put icing on a cookie for us. We had a great time. Of course my Dad was trying to start trouble by putting flour on my Mom's face and icing on Ben's nose - some things never change. :) I'm so glad they came down to join us - besides lending a helping hand - they helped "pass on the torch" with this special tradition.

Jim working the BBQ - did someone say smoked?
Giving Ben some dough and a cookie cutter
He went a little crazy with it!
Having fun
Jim and Grandma getting ready to cut the rest of the dough
Everyone getting into it
Papa and Jim decorating cookies
Jim helping Ben decorate
Ben eating the candy as we decorate!
Remembered to take a family picture
First time decorating as a family
Mom showing off her decorating skills
The guys watching some football
Ben showing off his new slippers
Time to ice a few cookies - Ben's favorite color right now is "Lellow"
Papa got me with the red icing!
Grandma with the iced cookies
The finished product!
Gorgeous sunset and evening
Ben having fun later that night - spinning around
Falling after spinning!
Tickles from Dad
Somersalt
Running around, huge smile on his face
Checking out the lights on the balcony
Cruising on his car
Big hug before bed

No comments: