April 10, 2014

3 months old!

On April 8th, our little Oliver turned 3 months old. I can't believe how big he is getting. He's definitely no longer a newborn, but a baby with a little personality. He has been the sweetest, most mild-tempered, borderline-easiest baby so far. He does very little crying throughout the day and if he's fussy, it's usually either because he's hungry, tired, or has an upset tummy.

4 - I mean 3 - months old! :)

Oliver has started to fall into a pretty regular routine now.  When Oliver was still in his bassinet in our bedroom, he usually went to bed at about 9.30 or 10pm, then he'd get up twice throughout the night to eat (usually about 2am and 5am), then start fussing at about 7.00am and I'd bring him into bed and we'd sleep in till 9am. :)  He would take his first nap in his swing about a hour after getting up (for about an hour), then his second nap was in his carseat in the BOB around noon when I'd go for my 3-mile walk.  The afternoons were a little more scattered - sometimes he would take a long nap laying on me or take little catnaps in various places.  He would always be asleep and then wake up just as Jim and I were about to eat dinner - little stinker!


About a week ago, I decided it was time to start getting on a more regular schedule and also Oliver seemed to be waking up a lot more in his bassinet at night (and looking quite big in it), so we started putting him in his crib for naps.  He seemed to do really well in the crib (swaddled), so on 4/3, we tried the crib overnight for the first time.  He did great!  Went to sleep around 9pm, then didn't wake up to eat until 4am!  Then went right back to sleep and then I woke him up at about 8am to make sure we stayed on schedule. :)  Of course I barely slept that first night because I kept checking the monitor to make sure he was OK.  So now he has fully transitioned to his crib and it's so much better for everyone.  We are currently working on losing the swaddle.

Having fun attacking his bear
Always has his hands in his mouth now

More milestones around the 3-month mark:
* 3/29 - First time in his bumbo seat
* 3/30 - Finally getting his head way up during tummy time
* 4/2 - Rolled from his back to his tummy!
* 4/9 - Rolled from his tummy to his back!
* 4/8 - Naps in crib with arms out of the swaddle
* 4/9 - First overnight with arms out of the swaddle
* 4/7 - Jim was able to get the first little giggle from Oliver

 
 
 Getting a little better with his head
 
 Practicing his rolling technique
 
 
 First nap in his crib
 
 Tried with no swaddle at all and that lasted about 5 minutes! :)
 
 More rolling
 Now he's got it - head way up!!!
 
 

Oliver is much more alert and active when he is awake now - holding onto toys and batting at the toys hanging from his playmat.  What a difference a couple of weeks make!  A few other notes about Oliver at this age:
- he is moving into 3-6 months clothes now (he's just so long!)
- he continues to refuse a pacifier
- he doesn't love being in his carseat unless the car is moving or you are walking
- he is not a fan of the bottle, but we are trying hard - and he'll take it once he realizes he doesn't have a choice (stubborn bugger!)
- he takes 3-4 one-hour naps a day
- he's now going to bed around 7.30 or 8.00pm and waking up twice in the night to eat (that's our new obstacle to tackle), then getting up for the day around 8.15am
- he is still losing is hair (now we see it on his sheets!)
- his eyes are still blue
- he gives the best big smiles (and looks just like Ben did doing it!)
- he is SO CLOSE to really laughing - like I said, Jim has gotten a few chuckles and this morning I finally got one too!

 
 

We continue to count our blessings for this little guy.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I can't believe how different he looks in just a couple months!! He is such a cutie and those blue eyes are staying! Him and Brady are the blue eyed babes :) He is such a great sleeper - lucky you!!! Love you Oliver and Happy 3 Month bday little man!