November 13, 2013

Another split forehead - 2 in one month :(

When I got the phone call from the school, all I could think was, "Seriously? Again?" It had literally been one month since the last phone call that Ben had split his head open. I couldn't believe it. This time I didn't panic quite as much and called around to figure out where I was going to take him before I got to his school.  Since the tiny bit of glue on his head from the ER came with a huge price tag last time, Jim and I decided that if it was along the same lines in severity, we'd go to Urgent Care this time.  Of course, if it was really bad or any signs of concussion, we would have gone to the ER.

I got to the school and I was in tears this time.  I was just so sad (and honestly mad) that he had fallen again and felt so bad for him.  Of course he was perfectly fine, sitting in the Director's office, reading a book. When he saw me, he got a bit upset of course but the Director said he barely even cried and had been so brave.  She took off the bandaid and I saw it was a little bigger this time (and in the center of his head instead of to the side), but nothing crazy and looked about as deep as last time.

We headed to Urgent Care and Jim met us there after hearing how upset I was on the phone and knowing this is always a bit of an ordeal.  They were great with him, although I can't believe the amount of wait time involved.  Ugh, so frustrating.  Even with an open wound, we had to wait our turn and it seemed there was only one doctor.  The Dr. said glue would do the trick again, so we basically just repeated the process from last time.  They cleaned it out, used the numbing cream, then glued it and put the strips on top of the glue this time.  He didn't freak out from the glue this time around, I think because they used more numbing cream.  And we had chocolate to try and distract him and keep him happy. :)

I found out later that Ben was rolling around on the grassy area with a ball and rolled over onto a 6" blacktop ledge that goes around the grass with his head - he wasn't even running this time!

After finishing up at Urgent Care, Ben and I grabbed lunch at McDonald's and then went home to relax and watch some movies.  I am really hoping this is it for a while......please.....


No comments: