September 11, 2013

It's A...

Jim and I originally thought that we would wait to find out the sex for baby #2 until the day of the birth.  But after all that we had been through, the fact that this will most likely be our last child (and pregnancy), and for Ben to get a better grasp of what is to come, we decided to go ahead and find out.  We did some early genetic testing around the 10 1/2 week mark and got a phone call with the results right around 12 weeks.  I was eager to hear the results of the genetic tests (all negative for the big 3 - so grateful!), but told my nurse not to tell me the gender over the phone because Jim, Ben, and I all wanted to find out together.  Of course we were going out of town for a week vacation in Cape Cod the next day, so we waited until we got back and I had another Dr. appointment, to pick up the results.  Jim's family wanted us to call and get the results so badly, but we waited. :)

My nurse handed me the results in an envelope and it stared at me the whole ride back to my office!  I purposely left the envelope in my car so I wouldn't be tempted all day. :)  That afternoon, Ben had a dental appointment, so right afterwards we were on a mission to find a bakery that was still open and willing to help us out.  We decided that getting a small cake made with either pink or blue frosting inside would be a cute, easy-to-understand way of finding out the sex (when we cut into the cake, we'd reveal the color).  And Ben would be excited about the cake too!

We struck out at the first bakery since it was around 5pm and the bakers were cleaning up and ready to leave.  I thought we might have to wait it out one more day, but Ben and I decided to take a chance on another bakery down the street at Albertson's and we hit the jackpot!  We found 2 ladies who loved our idea and couldn't wait to put it together for us.  They had it ready to go in about 10 minutes!  I just asked for a very simple white cake, but they were so excited for us that they decorated it super cute for us.

The envelope with the results in my car
They did such a great job putting this together for us!

We all made our guesses - Ben said pink (even though he had been saying a brother all along before that), I guessed blue, and Jim went with pink.  My side of the family were pretty split on their guesses and most of Jim's family all said girl.  And it's a............

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
BOY!!!!
 Ben taking it in :)
Facetime with our families right after we found out
My parents were in CO visiting my sister and family so we told them all together
Double-checking the note from my nurse! :)

We are so excited to be adding another precious boy to our family!  I have to say I love having a boy and every mom of 2 boys that I talk to says they wouldn't trade it for the world.  Ben is really excited to be a big brother and my greatest hope is that they will be super close, even if it takes a while. :)

And here's a video of us finding out - Ben has a funny reaction at the end because he guessed wrong - he really is excited, I promise! :)


2 comments:

Meg said...

Yay! Love this. And the ladies at the bakery story lol.

Lori said...

This turned out so cute, glad you chose to do it like this!!!! The ladies at the bakery is so funny, the girl that did my balloons was the same way!! I love the pic where you can see us on FaceTime, that's so cool!!! Ben is going to love having a brother and you will DEFINITELY love having 2 boys :). And u will spend a lot less money on clothes than I will, lol!!! Love the video, what a great memory!