April 30, 2013

We walk for babies

Last Saturday Jim, Ben, and I walked in the March of Dimes March for Babies walk. I have walked for this important cause for several years now, with Jim and Ben joining me for most of them. I walked by myself last year, but this year we all went again and we had such a great time. 

My employer, Jack in the Box, is a major sponsor of the event and it always feels so wonderful to get involved with something that truly touches so many hearts and lives.  I now have a lot of first-hand and second-hand experience with all of the problems, risks, complications, and unknowns that surround pregnancy and birth and I couldn't be more proud to raise money and show support for healthy babies.

We always have perfect weather the morning of the walk, with it being a bit chilly in the morning, but the sun breaking through shortly after we start.  And you couldn't have the walk in a more gorgeous setting than Balboa Park.  I always forget how cool it is there. 

This was the first time Ben walked the whole thing (OK, we might have taken a shortcut at the end) with no stroller and he did so good.  He complained once that "this race is too long", but he kept going and was a total trooper.

After the walk, Jack gives out free taces and chocolate cake (I wonder which one Ben opted for!) and they have a few activites for the kids, so we hung out for a bit before heading over to the San Diego Zoo to finish out our morning.
 
  Making our way to the event
Lenny, our President, giving an opening speech
Jim and Ben fueling up before the walk!
Me and my "baby" (of course we forgot the family shot)
And we're off!
View looking down the bridge
Ben and I, with some fellow Jack employees (including their dog!)
Gorgeous views
Ben kept saying he wanted to "win the race and get a trophy"
Running down the archway corridor
We called it our "short cut"
Love this.
Ben's legs got a little tired after awhile
The sun coming out!
After the walk - tacos, bananas, and chocolate cake :)
Ben showing off his green spider and blue web arm painting
Crashed out on our way home (after the Zoo too)

No comments: