April 15, 2013

First Swim Lesson

Ben had his first swim lesson last week and he did so great!  I wasn't sure how he would take to the teacher, since he had never met her before and also how he would do with me within sight.  I didn't know if I should sit inside completely out of view or was OK to hang out in one of the chairs poolside.  I wanted to make sure Ben was comfortable and able to learn without being clingy to me. 

I had nothing to worry about though - Ben saw Ms. Rebecca and went to her right away.  He let go of my hand and went and sat on the step of the pool, like he was told.  He was so excited to be in the pool and did all of the things Ms. Rebecca asked him to - putting his head under water, kicking in the water while holding a floatie, standing nicely on the "dock" while she was helping the other kids, floating on his back (didn't get a picture of that one), and swimming backwards too!  And he was totally fine with me sitting close, taking lots of pictures. :)  He would wave and smile, but then get right back into class.

Ben is taking classes twice a week after school and we are hoping he takes to it quickly and is water-safe by this summer.  But if not, he's definitely having fun in the meantime!

Getting him used to the water and ducking his head back
They get high five's after everything!
Jumping out to her arm
Still a little hesitant to let go of the dock :)
Swimming to the steps
Practicing on the floatie and blowing bubbles
Swimming backwards
Waiting his turn patiently
Having a great time
Time for some practice putting his head under
No problem!

No comments: