October 30, 2013

Anniversary Vacation in SLO

Jim and I needed a vacation, just the two of us. We hadn't been on a true vacation since before Ben was born when we went to Mexico for a week! We had done a couple of overnight stays away, but nothing longer than that and it was time. We had talked about taking a vacation for a long time and tossed around a few places, but ultimately decided that San Luis Obispo (SLO) would be perfect. I went to college at Cal Poly, but had not been back in probably about 10 years and I have always wanted to take Jim there to show him around - especially after seeing Boulder (where Jim went to college) and thinking how similar they seemed.  We knew it would be the perfect mix of nostalgia (for me), outdoor adventuring, beaches, mountains, a quaint town, quiet, good wine (for Jim!), and relaxing.

We were hoping to stay at the Apple Farm, but after seeing the prices for the main Inn, we almost changed our minds.  But I decided to call and tell the girl in administration that I was an alumni, was bringing my husband, was celebrating a wedding anniversary and also considering this our babymoon and she was so excited for us and wanted us to stay there so badly that she gave us an incredible deal (literally half off the price online and $75 restaurant credit!).  SCORE!  We are so glad we got to stay at this adorable Inn.  They greet you with coffee, wine, hot apple cider (which are also in the lobby all day long), and sometimes chocolate chip cookies.  The fireplace is always going, the decor reminds you of staying at your Grandma's (but in a good way), the grounds are gorgeous and so quiet, there is an incredible restaurant that makes the best breakfast, a bakery, a fabulous gift shop, pool, hottub, an old mill, and a guest reception every evening with snacks and wine.  We absolutely loved staying there.

View from the street that enters into the restaurant and bakery
Hydrangeas everywhere! :)
The restaurant entrance from the parking lot/Inn
Standing in front of the restaurant/bakery/gift shop
Loved this sign in the parking lot
The pool/hot tub area
With a view of the Old Mill and Water Wheel
Cutest little bench with bird houses on the ends
 The entrance to the Inn/Lobby
Beautiful sights around the hotel
Lit up at night
Night view from the hottub
The fireplace in the lobby where I would drink my decaf when I got up earlier than Jim
Entering our room
Our room
Cutest little details - fresh flowers on the mirror and tiny bathtub soap holder

We decided to go up to SLO first thing Thursday morning so that we would be there for the Farmer's Market that evening.  I remembered the Farmer's Market fondly and everyone says that they are famous for it, so I wanted to make sure we were there for that.  When we arrived in SLO, we drove around the downtown a bit, then parked to walk around some more and of course, grabbed lunch at Firestone (yummy tri-tip sandwiches and fries!).  It was just as good as I remembered. :)  After lunch, we checked into the hotel and spent some time relaxing and exploring the Apple Farm.  We made sure to attend the guest reception with wine, apple cider, and snacks before hopping onto the Trolley to the Farmer's Market.  We walked all around the market, sampling the fresh organic fruit, listening to live music, and smelling the numerous BBQs.  It was definitely the place to be and I even ran into a co-worker who was on vacation there too!  We searched the bars for a place that served O'doul's (Frog N Peach to the rescue) and sat down to watch some sports for a while before grabbing dinner at Creeky Tiki.  We hopped onto one of the last Trolley's back to our hotel and crashed.

Pictures around downtown SLO
 
 
 
 Lunch at Firestone Grill
 
 Checking out the Mission (and the pumpkin contest prep for that night)
 
 Walking along the creek
 
 Jim and I at Farmer's Market
 
 
 Yep, exactly how I remember.  So random!
 Drinks at Frog N Peach
 

 The rest of the weekend to be continued....

No comments: