October 15, 2013

2nd Annual San Marcos Fire Department Open House

When I saw the signs up around town for the San Marcos Fire Department Open House, I knew we had to make sure and attend. I think last year was the first year they held the event and we had such a good time.  I forsee this being an annual thing for us.  The funny part is, it always takes Ben a long time to warm up to everything - I think it's all a bit overwhelming at first, so we spend a lot of time just wandering and walking in circles before Ben is ready to participate or try something.  Jim and I just try and be as patient as we can and wait until Ben is ready.  In the meantime, we just walk around and check out all of the fire trucks, ambulances, and police cars from afar. :)

Ben's favorite things to do at this event are to watch the firemen and volunteers put out a fire, spray the fire house, sit in the 4-wheeler Fire vehicle, and pretend to crawl underneath a fire.

We noticed that the event seemed to be larger this year, with more vendors set up in the parking lot next door.  We grabbed some burgers, hot dogs, and chips (being made by the Probies) and enjoyed our afternoon at the fire house. :)

I am always so amazed by the fire truck with the huge ladder and the enormous flag on top
Riding in the 4-wheeler
Thinking the horn will be too loud :)
Ben watching the Fireman demo how to work an extinguisher (he had to wear his boots!)
Getting a better view
Time to put out a fire!
Such a great event they put on
They had lots of activities inside too
Crawling under the flames
Time to spray the hose
Putting out the fire
Waiting in line for face painting (Ben does his hand)
Getting a spider web and green spider
Sparky the Dog in the background that Ben was terrified of!
Finally getting into one of the fire trucks
 

1 comment:

Lori said...

That is SUCH a cool event! I wish ours did that! Looks like Ben had a blast after he warmed up :)