Due Date: Scheduled c-section date of January 8th at 7:30 am (5:30 am check-in).
Weight: At my last appointment, I was up about 27 pounds.
Medical Stuff: I was still on iron pills and will check my thyroid level about 4 weeks post-delivery to see how my thyroid is functioning once I am no longer pregnant. Unfortunately, right after I got over a 2-week mild cold just before Christmas, the day after Christmas I started feeling horrible. It started with an awful sore throat and I made a trip to Urgent Care thinking it might be strep throat. By the time I went, I had lost my voice and could barely talk. I was also stuffed up and coughing. The Dr. said it was viral and it would just take time, fluids, rest, and over-the-counter meds to get through it. I was really bummed because I had imagined spending a couple of Ben/Mommy days while Ben was out of school and I was on maternity leave, and then getting my hair done, mails done, and just relaxing my last few days before the 8th. Instead, I spent the entire 2 weeks fighting the worst cold of my life. I have never been that sick before. I just felt awful. To top it all off, I pulled a muscle in my back coughing so hard. We even bought a recliner for me to sleep in because I couldn't lay down with my back and congestion. I made another trip to Urgent Care when my sinuses got more sore to make sure I hadn't gotten a sinus infection. The Dr. put me on the Z-pack and that seemed to help a little bit. I spent 2 weeks in my bedroom, sitting in a chair and blowing my nose. I tried all kinds of over-the-counter meds and eventually ended up taking Vicodin to sleep and taking Tylenol during the day, along with a humidifier right by my head (day and night) and saline spray to try and clear my nose. I also sat outside at night when it was cold to get a little relief. It was brutal. I was finally feeling better the day it was time to have our baby. I still did not have my full voice, which was frustrating, but I felt halfway human again, thank goodness. It was definitely not how I planned to spend my final weeks before welcoming baby boy to our lives.
Sleeping: I was having no problems sleeping until I got sick. Nights were awful - I barely slept until we got the recliner and then I got small pockets of sleep between blowing my nose, drinking water cause my throat was hurting, coughing, and using the restroom.
Food: I pretty much only ate soup, grilled cheese, quesadillas, and crackers for those 2 weeks.
Clothes: All maternity clothes. Mostly leggings and PJ's.
Movement: I continued to feel him rolling and shifting positions in there constantly and he still got the hiccups at least once a day. Those movements were super reassuring for me cause I was worried my illness would be hard on the baby. My Dr insisted baby was fine. I definitely got more Braxton-Hicks from all of the coughing and nose blowing.
Thank You: I just have to say a HUGE Thank You to my Mom for all of her help those last 2 weeks when I was sick - she took care of Ben when I couldn't, she took care of me when I felt my worst, she drove me to appointments when I didn't feel up for driving, and she stayed at our house to help in anyway she could. I can't say enough what a life saver she has been for us. Love you Mom!
And now the outtakes (this was the only time I got dressed in those final 2 weeks):
No comments:
Post a Comment